Mar 26, 2011

Beauty and the Beast

Most of you know that my favorite music is classical.  Always has been, from the time I was little.  One of my favorites is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.  I had a friend in high school who was a fantastic pianist.  We had choir together, and during our lunch hour, he taught me how to play all but the last 2 bars of this piece.  All by sight, because I can't read a note of music.  But I felt wonderful sitting at Mom's piano playing this masterpiece - sounded great - just like I knew what I was doing....until you realized that the music stopped before it was over - then I sat there looking quite idiotic not being able to finish. 

OK, that's the beauty part - here comes the beast.  I got a call from OHSU (Oregon Health Science University) which is where I will be staying for a month for the stem cell transplant.  The registration person called me so that I can "get in their system".  When she put me on "hold", as happens to everyone all the time, right -- you don't have to guess what music was playing -- I think you already know.  Yep, Moonlight Sonata.  So here I am, listening to one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, waiting to be put into a system of a place that is going to bring me near death before getting somewhat better.  Is that what irony is?  In any case, I'm all registered.  Whoopeee!

The doctor from Portland (OHSU) will be in Medford on March 31st and I have an appointment with him that day.  I've not been given the time yet, but expect to hear something the first part of the week.  Must say that I'm in a surreal kind of place...going through the motions...but feeling like it's happening to someone else, not me, right?? NOT ME.

Will let you know what the doctor suggests, whether doing a transplant would be something he thinks we should do now, or undergo the treatment beforehand.  If it was up to me, I think I'd go for the transplant now; there's something about being poisoned with three different drugs for 6-9 months that just doesn't sound very appealing.

Sorry this isn't as funny or "chipper" as some of my other blog entries, but I promised myself that if I was going to blog, I was gonna blog the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.  Oh, wait, I'm not on trial........am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment